Taking photos in the dark or in low-light settings can be tricky. Just using your normal flash can make your subject look washed out, but not using it can result in a totally dark photo with no subject at all.
This DIY light by professional photographer Simon Ellingsworth of Lightism creates just enough light using glow sticks and PVC pipe for a cheap alternative to expensive commercial options like the ICE Light.
After cutting his PVC pipe to the right length, Simon cut it down the middle lengthwise to remove one side. He drilled a few holes for zip ties to hold the glow sticks, then popped them in place and put the cap on.
Simon used military-grade white light sticks, and he suggests snapping and shaking the sticks before securing them for best results. You could make this as big or small as you need by simply adjusting the size of the PVC and the number of glow sticks you use.
Pretty impressive for some glow sticks, right?
If you can't find any safety light sticks in stores, you could always make your own, though, you'll probably get different results with homemade glow sticks. Try using different colors to get more interesting results.
For more details on the process and how to use the light, be sure to check out Simon's tutorial.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades